Get Skills, Get Knowledge, Get Creative – GET HEARD!
Youth advocacy is about passion in the face of adversity: about challenging the status quo; questioning the expectation that young people are unable or unwilling to stand up and make a change. It is challenging the idea that the youth voice is too timid, too quiet, too distanced, too inexperienced, and too ignorant to have any impact.
Young People Speak Out (YPSO) offers young people the chance to gain skills and help create change in their communities. It is a programme that provides skills, training and support for young people (16 -25) and works with them to create projects, events and workshops in their local communities as a way to raise awareness about FGM in the UK.
“The message I take is that there are so many fantastically well informed young black women in this country and they are the ones that will make so much of a difference in the future of change and improvement for women.”
Participant at FORWARD Youth Meeting
In 2013 YPSO reached 500 young women from affected communities who in turn reached over 1,000 young people
In 2014 FORWARD was the UK parnter on a European project that reached over 6,500 people through youth advocacy on FGM and child and forced marriage
How We Do It
- Youth Training: Skills building workshops and sessions on leadership, FGM, campaigning and gender based violence.
- Youth Advocates: Supporting young people to organise events, projects and peer education for their communities, peers and friends. The youth advocates are also involved in youth empowerment and campaigning projects.
- Public Awareness Events and Projects: Organising creative, interactive and inspiring events to raise awareness of FGM, including spoken word and music events, photography exhibitions and film screenings.
- Outreach and Support: Emotional support for young women affected by or at risk of FGM, as well as supporting them to access specialised medical support. We are always more than willing to just have a chat about things – the first step is breaking the silence.
- School Awareness Project: We deliver FGM awareness sessions to schools, colleges, universities, and youth centres. We deliver sessions to both students/young people as well staff or adults working with young people.
- Youth Friendly FGM Resources: Getting the information and the facts to young people in a way that is creative, fun, engaging and easy to understand. It’s important for young people to be in the know.
- Research: Young people’s experiences, knowledge and attitudes of FGM are important too. We conduct research with young people to make sure you get heard.
How You Can Get Involved
Contact the Youth Programme for information about upcoming events, free training and opportunities as well as projects.
Join us on Facebook or follow us on Twitter
Join our youth group in Bristol
Volunteer your time
Ask us to come in and speak to your class, group or community
Read our youth friendly resources
Visit the Young People Speak Out website – www.forwardyouth.org.uk