FORWARD’s multi-award-winning Schools Programme offers a comprehensive and wide range of services for schools. All of our schools services are delivered in a sensitive and age appropriate way by experienced FORWARD facilitators. Our schools services are flexible and tailored to meet the needs of each school and target audience.
FORWARD believes that schools play a vital role in protecting and supporting girls at risk of or affected by FGM. We also believe that young people should be engaged and empowered to know about issues that affect them, their peers and their communities. Work with schools is focused not only on awareness but also the role that everyone can play in supporting girls and ending the practice. Pupils are equipped to be able to support themselves, their peers and their siblings who may be at risk of or affected by FGM.
Since 2013, FORWARD’s Schools Programme has delivered 2,000 FGM awareness school sessions in 800 schools and colleges in London reaching 36,000 students including 3400 primary school students and 5,300 school staff members.
How We Do It
- Student Awareness Sessions: Age-appropriate, culturally sensitive and interactive. FORWARD’s FGM lesson plan is flexible and can be tailored to a school’s needs
- Staff Training: Includes an FGM overview, identifying and safeguarding girls at risk and providing support for those affected by FGM.
- Outreach Services or Drop-in Sessions: Spaces for young people to get more information. They can be adapted fit a school’s existing support services or needs.
- Youth Friendly Resources
- Advice and Guidance: For schools on how to respond and engage on FGM.
- Parents Sessions
- Train the Trainers: Training for staff, older students or external organisations who want to deliver FGM sessions in schools.
“Staff said that the content, whilst complex and sometimes shocking, was presented in a balanced, sensitive manner. They found the session relevant, topical and extremely informative. I know that the staff feel much better informed and am confident that this will serve us well in our everyday practice, and the safeguarding of our students.”
How to get Services for your School
To arrange an FGM session for your school or training for your staff please contact [email protected]
For more information: Creating Change Among Young People – FORWARD’s Schools Programme
Information for primary schools: My Body My Rules – FORWARD’s Schools Programme – Primary