As an organisation that has been working on FGM in the UK and Africa for 30 years, FORWARD is a leading expert in this field. Our training is designed to share this expertise, equipping educators, health professionals and other frontline staff with the knowledge, skills and confidence to respond appropriately and effectively to both affected and at risk women and girls. We also are pleased to offer Open College Network (OCN) accredited courses for professionals and frontline staff.
In 2013 we provided accredited training on FGM and how to safeguard girls against it in their setting for over 50 frontline professionals
People who have sought FGM training with us include the NSPCC FGM Helpline staff and volunteers at the Red Cross as well as countless local safeguarding children’s boards, midwives and other health care professionals.
How We Do It
Training courses can take from 2.5 hours to one day depending on your need. Cost is dependent on the type and duration of training and we would be happy to build a training course specific to your needs and budget. Here are some of our core training courses:
- Responding to Female Genital Mutilation – Training for Professionals and Frontline Staff: This OCN accredited course is geared towards equipping frontline staff with the knowledge and skills to respond to FGM. The training aims to equip professionals to confidently respond to FGM and enables them to develop action plans on FGM that are geared towards their specific setting.
- Enabling Your School to Respond to FGM – School Staff Training: for teachers and education professionals.
- Train the Trainers: providing other professionals with the knowledge and skills to teach about FGM in secondary schools
- Leadership Skills, Advocacy, Women’s Health and FGM: This course is part of our Community training, empowering women to be Community Champions among their peers and community at large. FORWARD will on occasions provide this training for community groups or institutions on request.
- Engaging Young People in the FGM campaign
- Responding to FGM: Health Professionals
- Responding to FGM: The Social Worker
- Responding to FGM: The Law and the Police
- Bespoke Training Courses: Please contact us to discuss your training needs. We would be happy to put together a course suited to your setting.
How You Can Get Involved
Email [email protected] to request training or discuss your training needs
Contact us to request a speaker for your event