Title: Communications Intern
Reports to: Projects & Events Manager
Duration: 6 months
Hours: 35 hours p/w
FORWARD is seeking an enthusiastic and committed intern to work with FORWARD’s Events and Communications Team.
The intern will be joining FORWARD at an exciting time with many events and projects to support. The position is a fantastic opportunity for a candidate seeking more experience in communication and events in an NGO environment and for those who are interested in African diaspora young women’s leadership development. This placement will be for a 6 month period in our London office.
Applicants must be well organised and enthusiastic “self-starters,” they must have a keen awareness of the areas of FORWARD’s work and a demonstrable interest in, and knowledge of, international development and human rights, specifically the rights of African women and girls. Excellent communication and social media skills, being able to demonstrate great writing skills, and having an eye for detail are also imperative for this role.
- Uploading new content to the FORWARD website (wordpress)
- Creating infographics and other graphics for social media purposes
- Scheduling and updating FORWARD social media channels (Twitter, Facebook, Instagram, including assisting with the Youth Programme’s separate social media channels)
- Monthly and quarterly monitoring and reporting of social media output and engagement
- Assisting with the inputting of data and organisation of the FORWARD supporter database
- Leading the writing and putting together of quarterly e-newsletter and writing topical monthly blogs for the website and young women’s leadership and social action projects
- Supporting FORWARD events, including in the marketing of events
- Assisting with the distribution of resources both online and physical
- Donor management – leading on communicating with individual donors and fundraisers including posting out fundraiser packs and thank yous
- Update FORWARD’s fundraising guide for potential fundraisers
- Logging online donations, tracking regular donors, and monitoring Gift Aid in liaison with finance team.
We are interested in applicants with the following set of skills:
- Excellent written and spoken English
- Experience of digital campaigning and understanding its impact
- Strong organisational skills
- Ability to work in a timely manner and to deadlines
- Innovative and analytical mind
- Good team player
- A good understanding of the main areas of FORWARD’s work (FGM, child marriage and violence against women and girls)
- A positive attitude in the portrayal of the above issues and an understanding of routes to market FORWARD communications to the correct audiences
- Events marketing experience
- Database management knowledge (desirable)
- Basic graphic design skills (desirable)
- An understanding of and experience of using WordPress would be an advantage
- Experience of working with African diaspora young women
Please send a CV and cover letter addressing each of the skills criteria, for the attention of Naomi Reid to [email protected] by 11th October 12.00pm. Please use the subject line “Communication Internship Application”. Download a copy of the Job Description.
The deadline for applications is 11th October 2017.